14 Apr 2016

Day-2 | Bloody Hail

Kirne trail to Faralya | 11.4km



German Albert caught up with me as I was breaking camp. The clothes were still strewn about the trail he said; it looks as though the goatherd is sleeping it off somewhere up in the mountains. 

Looking back on Ölüdeniz and the first night's campsite (plateau on right)
Breakfasted and caffeinated I set out and caught up with Albert again a bit later at a shack that was a cafe in construction where they were making him tea, so I joined in and stocked up on water. The mist rising up over the mountains was beautiful but foreboding. The trail from there curved around a stepped valley where it began to lightly rain. And then into a steep sided valley where the skies began to darken.

Storm brewing...
Part way into the valley the lightning started and the thunder began booming around the valley. The rain started. Then came the hail. I took shelter in a dry water gulley from the lightning cracking down above me. The dry gulley wasn't dry for long and I was soon stood up to my ankles in fast flowing storm water, covered in hailstones and with mud and stone debris puking down on my head from the top of the cutting above. I had the kit for rain but not storms and had been caught unaware by the speed that the storm came in. Drenched I took a lull in the storm to push on to Kirne to find proper shelter.

Drowned rat
I had a couple of teas in a small cafe in Kirne, waited to see if Albert showed up and when he didn't I pressed on, presuming he'd stayed up somewhere sheltered for longer. As I was passing through Faralya by Butterfly Valley another storm started up ahead so I called it a day and holed up in a small pansiyon to dry and tend my wounds.

My original idea was to climb down into Butterfly Valley, dangerous on a good day without a rucksack but suicide today given the weather - so a line was put through that.

Butterfly Valley from above
2nd night's 'campsite'



No comments:

Post a Comment